The world of advertising has produced iconic and memorable commercials that not only sell products but also leave a lasting impression on viewers. These commercials transcend mere marketing and become part of popular culture.
In this blog, we’ll unveil some of the best commercials that have made us laugh, cry, and think, and we’ll explore the question: Are TV commercials effective in creating lasting brand impressions?
Apple “1984” (1984)
Aired during the Super Bowl in 1984, Apple’s “1984” commercial was a game-changer. This iconic ad introduced the world to the Macintosh computer. What made it stand out was its powerful imagery and message.
The commercial portrayed a dystopian world, and a young woman, representing Apple, shatters the monotony with a sledgehammer. It was a statement that Apple was bringing a revolution, and it succeeded in leaving a powerful mark.
Nike “Just Do It” (1988)
Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign is one of the most enduring and recognizable slogans in the world. It was launched in 1988 and has continued to inspire millions of people to get active and strive for their goals.
The simplicity of the slogan resonates with a wide audience and has effectively positioned Nike as a brand that stands for determination and action.
Budweiser “Whassup” (1999)
Remember the catchphrase “Whassup?” from Budweiser’s 1999 commercial? This hilarious ad featured a group of friends talking on the phone using this phrase. It became a pop culture sensation and helped boost Budweiser’s sales. It’s a great example of how humor and relatable moments can connect with consumers.
Old Spice “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” (2010)
Old Spice’s “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” commercial campaign brought a touch of humor and modernity to the brand. It featured Isaiah Mustafa as a confident and attractive man, using Old Spice deodorant.
The humorous and offbeat style of the ad successfully rebranded Old Spice and appealed to a younger audience.
Always “Like a Girl” (2015)
Always’ “Like a Girl” commercial was a powerful game-changer in the world of advertising. This ad challenged the negative stereotypes associated with girls and women.
It showcased young girls and women participating in various activities with confidence, breaking down preconceived notions. This commercial was not just about selling products; it aimed to make a positive societal impact.
Doritos “Crash the Super Bowl” (2006-2017)
Doritos took an innovative approach by allowing the public to submit their own Doritos commercials for a chance to air during the Super Bowl.
This user-generated content campaign resulted in some of the most creative and popular commercials of all time, answering the question: What are some popular advertisements and how can they be created? It proved that engaging the audience directly could lead to outstanding advertising content.
Google “Year in Search” (2008-present)
Google’s annual “Year in Search” commercial is a heartwarming and emotional look at the world through the eyes of Google users.
It highlights the most popular search terms on Google, capturing the essence of each year’s major events and emotions. This ad is a testament to the power of connecting with users through emotional storytelling.
John Lewis “The Long Wait” (2014)
John Lewis’ “The Long Wait” commercial tells a touching story of a young boy who eagerly waits for a penguin to visit him every Christmas. It’s a heartwarming tale of love, hope, and friendship, and it resonated with audiences on a deep emotional level.
Amazon “Alexa Loses Her Voice” (2018)
Amazon’s “Alexa Loses Her Voice” commercial takes a humorous approach, featuring a group of celebrities and Amazon employees attempting to navigate life without Alexa’s help. The ad humorously showcases the many ways in which Alexa simplifies our lives.
Peloton “The Gift That Never Stops Giving” (2019)
Peloton’s “The Gift That Never Stops Giving” commercial is an emotional journey that follows a woman as she uses her Peloton bike to achieve her fitness goals. It delivers a powerful message of self-love and empowerment, resonating with viewers.
10 Key Qualities that Make the Best Commercials
Memorable commercials share several common elements that make them stand out. These aspects are not just limited to creativity but also involve a deep understanding of the audience and a compelling storytelling approach.
Here are some of the key qualities that contribute to making a commercial one of the best:
- Emotional Connection – Memorable commercials often evoke powerful emotions. Whether it’s laughter, tears, or simply a warm feeling, connecting with the audience on an emotional level is a surefire way to make an ad unforgettable.
- Storytelling – The art of storytelling plays a pivotal role. A well-structured narrative keeps viewers engaged from start to finish. It can be a linear story, a surprise twist, or an inspiring journey.
- Simplicity – The best commercials are often simple in their message. They convey their point clearly and concisely, making it easy for viewers to understand and remember.
- Humor – Humor is a universal language and funny commercials often leave a lasting impression. A clever joke or a witty situation can turn an ordinary ad into an extraordinary one.
- Creativity – Originality and creativity set remarkable commercials apart. They break away from clichés and showcase something fresh and unique.
- Memorable Characters – Characters that viewers can relate to or admire can make a commercial unforgettable. Whether it’s a fictional character or a celebrity, strong characters have a lasting impact.
- Call to Action – Effective commercials prompt viewers to take action. It could be visiting a website, purchasing a product, or simply sharing the ad with others.
- Relevance – The best commercials are often highly relevant to the audience’s needs, aspirations, or values. They speak directly to the viewers.
- Cultural Relevance – Sometimes, commercials that are timely and relevant to the current cultural context become incredibly popular. They tap into trends, social issues, or events that resonate with the audience.
- Visual and Auditory Appeal – Strong visuals and captivating soundtracks or jingles can make a commercial memorable. A catchy tune or a stunning visual can become inseparable from the brand.
These qualities, when combined effectively, have the potential to create a memorable and effective commercial. Marketers and advertising professionals often study these elements to craft advertisements that leave a lasting mark on consumers.
Turn Your Vision into a Memorable Ad Campaign with Picturelab!
Unleash the potential of your brand with Picturelab. Our expert team specializes in creating engaging and memorable video content that captivates your audience, answering the question of what are the best commercials.
Let’s turn your vision into an unforgettable ad campaign. Contact us today at 650-965-4898 or via email at email@example.com to get started on the path to creating advertising magic. Your brand’s memorable moment awaits!